Wednesday, November 4, 2009

stand in awe of god.

that is what the first half of ecclesiastes chapter 5 is titled in my bible. which, strangely enough happens to be a men's devotional bible. this title caught my eye this morning as i was thumbing through trying to get the scripture my devotion was based on, so i paused and read, and as i did i felt as though i had been smacked in the face.
no, but really.
you know how when people get into hysterics and they have to get smacked in the face to snap out of it and calm down. i feel that recently i have been allowing myself to remain in a state of some sort of silent, inward, hysterics. recently ive allowed myself to worry about the future and feel uneasy about all the changes going on around me. this far from gentle reminder was just what i needed.

verses 4&5 stuck out to me the most

4 When you make a promise to God, don’t delay in following through, for God takes no pleasure in fools. Keep all the promises you make to him. 5 It is better to say nothing than to make a promise and not keep it.

whether or not i consciously realized it, i have been 'delaying' in my follow-through. yikes.
when i tell God, 'i surrender my will' or 'my trust is in you' i am relinquishing my control in situations. my actions however have not been recently as consistent as they could be. well thats about to change, time to start being intentional.

7 Much dreaming and many words are meaningless. Therefore stand in awe of God.

also...
i want this bag, my roommate just got one, it is supporting an incredible cause that is quite near and dear to my heart.

No comments: